Gender equality is not only a fundamental human right, but a necessary foundation for a peaceful, prosperous and sustainable world.
Facts and Figures:
- In 46 countries, women now hold more than 30 per cent of seats in national parliament in at least one chamber.
- More than 100 countries have taken action to track budget allocations for gender equality.
- In Southern Asia, a girl’s risk of marrying in childhood has dropped by over 40% since 2000.
- Globally, women are just 13 per cent of agricultural land holders.
- In 18 countries, husbands can legally prevent their wives from working; in 39 countries, daughters and sons do not have equal inheritance rights; and 49 countries lack laws protecting women from domestic violence.